Module 05 - Navigating the Waterways
- One Short Blast:
- I’m altering my course to starboard (to the right).
- Two Short Blasts:
- I’m altering my course to port (to the left).
- Three Short Blasts:
- I’m operating my boat in reverse.
- Five Rapid Blasts:
- I’m unsure of the other boater’s intentions.
- one Long Blast:
- I’m leaving the dock and am a motorized boat of 12m or longer.
Exception: If You’re Operating a Boat on the Great Lakes
- One short blast: I want to pass you on my boat’s port (left) side.
- Two short blasts: I want to pass you on my boat’s starboard (right) side.
During Periods of Reduced Visibility
- Sailboats should sound one long blast followed by two short blasts.
- Motorized boats should sound one long blast every two minutes.
- Boats at anchor should blast a sound signal rapidly for about five seconds every minute.