ATVsmart! USA Knowledge Base
Module 01 - Rider Basics
- Clutch Lever:
- This lever is usually located on the left handlebar and is used to engage or disengage the clutch when you’re shifting gears.
- Throttle Grip:
- Throttle is what makes you ‘GO’. When the engine is running, you can apply throttle power by ‘rolling’ the throttle grip with your right hand and accelerating the machine forward.
- Right & Left Handlebar Controls:
- These controls and switches will vary depending on the model of your bike. Check your owner’s manual to learn more about these features.
- Brake Lever:
- Usually located on the handlebar on your right side, this lever will activate the front brakes on your bike.
- Ignition Switch:
- This switch will turn your bike on. It can be used instead of the kick starter.
- Kick Start:
- With your bike in neutral, push down lightly on the kick starter with your foot until you feel the gears engage and then kick it through smoothly and forcefully to start up the engine.
RIDER SAFETY TIP: DIRT BIKE DETAILS
Two wheels are a lot tippier than four wheels. So if you’re new to dirt biking, be prepared to take some wipeouts while practicing, and always wear ALL the safety gear – dirt bikers look legit for a reason. You should always be equipped with a helmet approved by the Department of Transportation (DOT) as well as gloves, eye-protection, protective clothing, knee, hip, shoulder and chest protectors, and over-the-ankle riding boots. No exceptions.