Before Heading Out
Planning out your trip, and leaving a Trip Plan document behind with someone you trust, should be a part of even the most spontaneous adventures. Leave details that will lead someone to your location if you don’t return home. Who knows what may keep you out there - maybe you’ll run out of gas and your phone will be dead, or maybe you’ve injured yourself in an accident and you’re trapped under your machine. Whatever your emergency is, wouldn’t you be glad to know you left a map behind that will lead someone to you?
Think of it this way: Take a moment to leave that note, or type out that text message before you leave and you may save your own life.
Trip Plan Information:
- Where you’re starting from, and where you’re headed (the big picture).
- How you plan to get there (identify the trail on a map).
- The location of any planned stops.
- A list of names and contact info for the other riders in your group.
- A cell phone number where you can be reached.
- Your time of departure, arrival and return.
- A list of instructions in case of an emergency.
- The number for the local authorities in the area where you’ll be riding.