Paddle trip emergencies happen even during good weather conditions and even to experienced paddlers. Emergency preparation and knowledge are the first steps to self-rescue. As a new paddler, you must practice extra caution on the water and know how to respond if an emergency situation happens to you.
RESCUE TIPS FOR PADDLERS
- Always paddle in a group so that you can help each other if a capsizing occurs.
- Remember that people come first. You may be required to release your paddle craft to save yourself or another paddler from a hazard.
- Both you and your paddle craft should have adequate flotation devices (i.e. a life jacket for you and inflated air bags for your paddle craft). This will increase your safety and make your rescue easier.
- Practice self-rescue techniques in a controlled area before heading out on the water.
- Know the various rescue techniques for helping other paddlers in need of assistance.