HUNTINGsmart! USA Knowledge Base
Module 01 - HUNTING BASICS
- The case is the outer metal shell that contains all of the cartridge components.
- The base of the case carries the primer pocket and the head stamp (the head stamp identifies the caliber and make).
- The primer is a small cup that holds a chemical mixture. When the primer is struck by the firing pin, the reaction will cause the bullet to fire.
- Powder is the chemical mixture that’s inside the case and which produces gases that force the projectile out of the barrel.
- Your bullet is your projectile—it’s what fires from the barrel. Bullets come in a variety of sizes, weights and shapes.
- The area that aligns the bullet with the rifling and holds it in place.
- The area on the case where it sometimes widens out.