SLEDsmart! USA Knowledge Base
Module 05 - Rider Responsibility
Riding a machine is exciting, fun and… it can also be really exhausting. Listen to your body. Do you feel tired? Hungry? Muscles feeling stiff or strained? It’s not unusual. Just pay attention to your physical limitations and don’t overextend yourself.
Prevent rider fatigue by doing the following:
- Drink plenty of water during your trip to keep your concentration and endurance abilities in top shape.
- Dress for the weather. Wear the proper clothing layers you’ll need to stay warm. It’s tough to stay alert and focused when you’re physically uncomfortable.
- Eat regularly. Pack food that’s high in protein and carbs and munch on it all day.
- Limit your riding time if you aren’t sure of your abilities. Don’t plan a long trip for your first time out.
- Take breaks. It’s a good idea to stop at least once an hour. Safely pull off the trail, get off the sled, stretch, walk around, drink some water and get in the zone for the next section of the ride.